09 March 2011

Next Year's Curriculum

This is what I have been planning the last couple of weeks. It's a work in progress, but we are already reading Shakespeare. We've read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet and just started The Tempest. The kids love it and beg me not to stop at the end of our 15-20 min reading sessions! I wish I had started out using CM from the start. I guess I didn't really think it was close enough to "school" though. The past few years, I've had to "de-school" myself. LOL!!

I'm using Ambleside Online (AO) to help me get started, but I'm making a few changes here and there. Here is what the big kids are doing for 2011-2012. I'll be adding more over the next couple of months and posting periodic updates. 



Together, we will be studying these subjects though not every subject will be studied every single day, and this list is just a sample of what we will be doing. 

Bible
Science: Human body, nutrition, weather
Geography: U.S. states, passport fun w/select countries
Copywork
Nature Study: amphibians/reptiles,  insects/invertebrates, mammals, parts of a plant
History: Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Buffalo Bill
Foreign Language: Spanish, German
Composers: Beethoven, Vivaldi, Chopin
ArtAlbrecht Durer (1471-1528) Italian Renaissance, Caravaggio (1571-1610) Italian Baroque, Eugene Delacroix (1798-1863) Romantic
Literature: Shakespeare, Little House books, Robin Hood, The Aesop for Children
Poetry: Walter De La Mare
Handicrafts: Cross-stitch
Hymns and Folksongs: Tell me the story of Jesus, I am Resolved, At Calvary; Aiken Drum, Waltzing MathildaCockles and Mussels


Each of the big kids has his/her own math, reading assignments, and extra books, just for fun.


BMath-U-See (Beta/Gamma)

S: Math-U-See (Alpha)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR CURRICULUM !!!! That is GREAT !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo! I'm starting slowly right now, adding a little at a time. I'm still getting to know the Charlotte Mason way of educating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are posting more. I love to hear about the kids and what you all are doing. Although the more I read the more I think I might want to home school. It seems like a lot of FUN and a lot of quality time spent with the kids.

    Keep Updating, Love and Miss y'all
    :) Bridgett

    ReplyDelete